(the artiste formerly known as *45 Minutes To Forever*)

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bus Wisdom

Girl in conversation with a friend, on my bus, this morning: "I measure success not by where people are in life, but by how far they've come from where they started."

I am wont to look at 'successful' people my age, where they are in life and what they do, and feel terrible about where I am and what I do. It's always, "what did I do wrong; what did I not do." What this girl said on the bus this morning grabbed me by the collar and slapped me in the face. It really isn't about where you are, but how about far you've come. And yes, there are some things I would do differently if I could do them again, but the moments have passed.

I hate the frizz in my hair. I hate the fact that I love food so much. I would've liked to be an investment banker or anything that pays me shedloads of money. I regret not fully learning to play the piano. I am short on patience and perseverance. I made choices and decisions, some educated, others completely random, on a wing and a prayer. Given everything that could have and has gone wrong, I am here and happy. Yes, simply happy and content.


Don't worry. I haven't OD'ed on the positivity pills. I can be a very naggy (sic) grumpy old (the big three oh looms on the horizon) woman when I like. The truth remains: I have a lot to be grateful for, and, most importantly, I have come a long way.

7 comments:

Ajith Alexander said...

I would think that being a investment banker with slick gelled back hair and no appetite isn't too much fun. But playing the piano is a whole different story...shame on you...SHAME!!! ;)
aa

Anonymous said...

Hate the fact that you love food so much?! Oh no no no no no... that's the part to be grateful for!

G

fortyfiveminutes said...

G: No it isn't, when you inhale it and it goes from the nostrils straight into little fat pockets under the skin!
aa: Yes, shame on me about that. I agree.

Anonymous said...

I like this definition. I'm going to apply it to my life. Thank you for a perfect birthday present! (Anything that happens on the 13 of Feb is about ME!)

Savionix said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Savionix said...

You have come a long way!....the bus wisdom proves that.
On the bus in mumbai, I still get to hear cheeky women discuss profanity in eminem songs. :D

fortyfiveminutes said...

@savio: Mumbai bus wisdom wins hands down over Oxford bus wisdom methinks!

She Knows You're Here

Search This Blog