(the artiste formerly known as *45 Minutes To Forever*)

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I'm a Spelling Nazi

There. I've said it. Over the years, after offending many when I have pointed their spelling transgressions out to them, I have learned to "internalize my trauma" (thank you Chinty for that fabulous phrase).

Here are some gems from
my work e-mail that make my blood curdle:

wierd for weird

must of for must've
accessable for accessible
defininately for definitely
refered for referred
seperate for separate
indispensible for indispensable
guage for gauge
effect for affect (and vice versa)

Cringe with me, and don't get me started on text/SMS-speak.

P.S. Now that I've said this, it will all blow up in my face with people trawling my blog for spelling mistakes. Help!

12 comments:

Shamly said...

It is weird that I often spell 'weird' as 'wierd'. I will be good from now on. ;)

Me said...

I know I am a grammar Nazi in real life. But not so on the web. I seem to be more forgiving on it

Ketaki said...

I hear youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Chakli said...

how about your instead of you're?

Anonymous said...

I'm to scared to comment, afraid of the after affects.

J/K!

Ajith Alexander said...

You've gone on record now. I shall wait with baited breathe for your to mess up a speling.

tamara said...

I'm exactly the same! I had to laugh when I read your post because just yesterday I blogged about bad punctuation I saw on a handmade sign in my neighborhood. In addition to what you listed, I hate:

"there" for "their"
"expresso" instead of "espresso"

Keep fighting the good fight!

G said...

My all time favorite would have to be "performa" instead of "performer" throughout a professional document back in Boston. 17 instances. Not one red underline in Word tipped the guy off.

G

Ajith Alexander said...

Re: some of the comments, there's actually a law about this called Muphry's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naruki%27s_Law)!

shilpa said...

Must of? People use that?
I am a little like you when it comes to spellings in emails and other modes of communication at work.

PNA said...

completely with you..... heeee

fortyfiveminutes said...

@Everybody: I didn't mean to neglect you; just been a little busy offline.

@Shamly: That's a common one. I blame the keyboard.

@Me: Teach me your patience.

@Ketaki: You've just got to learn to spell 'you' sister.

@Chakli: Oh my God! I can't believe I left that one out!

@debonairdebacles: Hahaha! You are being watched!

@Ajith: The Muphry's Law is fascinating.

@tamara: Ooh...there for their - priceless.

@G: Of course, who can argue with MSWord! (Nodot are you listening?)

@Shilpa: It seems to be really common in this country. Strange, I know.

@Pins N Ashes: Thank you!

She Knows You're Here

Search This Blog