(the artiste formerly known as *45 Minutes To Forever*)

Monday, July 09, 2007

Just Water Please

There's an ad that runs currently on British telly, for Oasis, a fruit-flavoured still water (though I'm not sure it really is water) which has a tag-line that reads "for those who don't like the taste of water". Pray tell, how can one not like the "taste" of water? I guess you could (by some elaborate stretch of the imagination) not like the fact that it has no taste. Other than that, I see little or no trouble with it. I can hear the collective groan from all hardest-water-in-the-universe sufferers from the south of England, but that's easily remedied by using a water filter (which I think should be something that is dealt with at the municipal corporation/district council level, but that can be the subject of a whole new blog).

It doesn't add up - all the millions of taxpayers' pounds spent on health promotion material extolling the virtues of plain old water, talking about it as being central to keeping well and fit, and on the other hand, conflicting messages coming from advertising like this. It is hard to believe that all a fruit-flavoured drink contains is fruit and water. The thing is, I am apathetic to Oasis itself, it's just the thrust of the advertising that makes me very uncomfortable.

3 comments:

Ajith Alexander said...

:(
I love flavored water. I saw an ad on tv today for water filters to fit on ur tap that have fruit flavors in them so that u get fruit water right out of the tap... now to find it on a good deal online :D
aa

Dylan said...

But there's no such thing as flavoured water, is there? Cause then it ceases to be water. It becomes Rasna!

I had no idea you blogged. Just found you today on your orkut profile. Good stuff.

MS CUTE PANTS said...

Rasna??? Damn Dylan, you just brought back a looong forgotten memory!

She Knows You're Here

Search This Blog