(the artiste formerly known as *45 Minutes To Forever*)

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Baby Cute, Baby Beautiful

I've had a few e-mail requests lately from very enthusiastic parents requesting me to vote for their babies in some random online contest or other called "Cutest Baby" or "Most Beautiful Baby" or something like that. I, of scathing-email-in-response-to-spam-forwards fame, haven't replied telling them what I really think of their request.

Here's where I stand. I know you think your baby is cute (such an abused word!) and beautiful and cuddly, and you are most probably right and I will most probably agree with you. Trouble is, so does everybody else entering their babies in the competition. So, the way I see it, when I vote for your baby, I'm saying I think the other babies are less cute (God, I hate that word!), which is not true.

Honestly, to persons other than family, babies looks like babies. Nice and soft and little and amusing. Not one cuter (kill me now!) than the other. Some of you might say I hold this view because I haven't yet met an ugly baby and you may be right; but I really don't think pitting the little persons against each other in a contest of appearance really proves anything or is even entertaining in any way. So the next time you enter your baby into a contest, leave me out of the vote petition list please. I'd rather not have an opinion in the matter.

10 comments:

kabes said...

Um...F..maybe I shouldn't mention this then?

Mint Chutney said...

That show that kabes mentioned is HORRIFIC. It's painful to see these girls learn to fake smile by age 3. I was 23 before I learned how to do it.

fortyfiveminutes said...

@kabes and Mint Chutney - That programme is like it was pinched off British telly! I've watched a similar one here with a mixture of amusement and disgust. When I watch any sort of grown-up beauty contest, there's a side of me that says "how could they?!" and another that says "so what - they think they've got it, they're flaunting it - you're just being a stick in the mud." With baby and child beauty contests though, I just don't get the point.

kabes said...

It feels like a pedophiles dream

Ketaki said...

Nice thought F...

And, very well put "kabes"...these shows are a pedophiles dream...

I do think that there is such a thing as an "uncute baby" though..you will know when you see one...

Ajith Alexander said...

Has anyone registered RateMySpawn.com yet?

Anonymous said...

hey, good to see you back!

this ranks up there with parents wanting to tell you about their angel's poop routine.

Anonymous said...

hi... im all against the toddlers parading round on stage fighting against each other like that and wearing makeup... but i think putting a pic of your baby on a site to see how cute they are just for the sake of it wont hurt... i know every baby is cute (there are some ugly ones but not many... i was 1:( so i know) anyway... i put a couple of my sons pics up just to see if he wins or not... i know all babys on the site are as cute as each other(except one lil boy.. i have to admit he was a lil bit cuter than my son) but i know my son is cute and i dont need a competition to tell me that i just want to see the the outcome is... nothing to it... but i would never make him go up on stage and pose and stuff like that

ZenDenizen said...

I agree babies really shouldn't be entered in any kind of beauty/cuteness competition. However, after my nieces were born, I do understand why someone would want to do such a thing...

Priya said...

eek. Rate babies for cuteness ? (I hate that word too !) Sheesh.

And I'm a mom - so yes, I *do* know the pressure of "how cute is your kid"? I don't agree with *competing* about it !! This is like those parents who tell you about midnight (or later) marathon nursing sessions followed by blow out poop that their little darling produces. Just as you are about to eat lunch (or dinner). We've got kids. We get it. Let it go already.

But besides that - LOL, you tell those parents girl.

Priya.

She Knows You're Here

Search This Blog