(the artiste formerly known as *45 Minutes To Forever*)

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Man, Woman or Person Who Swallowed a Box?

I was faced with this at the Thornhill Park and Ride, outside Oxford, while dying for a wee, and so I did not at all appreciate being subjected to an extra two seconds' wait to work out whether I was going into the correct toilet.


Yes, you will now say to me that I really should have just focussed on the tiny skirt (?) or tilted my head sideways to read the very arty-farty metal lettering that, in case you are wondering, says FEMALE. Let's face it, wouldn't it have been easier to have it just read 'Women' or 'Ladies' with the usual bog-standard stick figure image? 

As an aside, I find it intriguing and mildly amusing that Baby Nappy Changing Units are always located in the Ladies' toilet if there isn't enough space to give them a separate room. Are there never any men who may a) travel alone with babies and/or b) would like to change their babies' nappies?

4 comments:

Kochukandhari said...

Ro tells me that there are quite a few men's bathrooms that have baby changing stations, esp at malls and beaches ples every now and then you see Family restrooms, which I think are pretty nice, although I have once found a couple trying to become a family there once.

fortyfiveminutes said...

@Beks: Ro's observation is interesting and probably true, and more so in North America. That said, I'm probably under-informed and relying on the signs I see on the doors here. I know of family changing/rest rooms at swimming pool complexes, but almost never a sign for a nappy changing room/table in a men's toilet. About the couple trying to become a family, you've got to do what you've got to do!

anil said...

Probably a tad unfair -this is Oxford city council being PC and not discriminatory against the 'bigger woman'.

I must say the stick figure stereotype would simply not work at a car-park and ride. Real stick figures get on their bikes ;)

Shammi said...

wahahahaha - I love your post title! :D :D

She Knows You're Here

Search This Blog