(the artiste formerly known as *45 Minutes To Forever*)

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Bag Lady

So, I've been on this mission. To try and make local friends of the 'desi' variety. It's a mission born out of much thought and deliberation - a whole four years' worth. The background is too tedious to recount, so I'll cut to the chase. 

This morning, I got into the bus at my usual stop, and I spotted the only empty seat, next to this girl I've seen on the bus before. She is most definitely from the subcontinent, and, most likely, Indian. I went over and thought, "this is good - finding a seat and seizing an opportunity to make a new friend - well done me!". I smiled warmly and she did smile back - great start. She began to look away, outside the window. I was killing myself trying to think of something to say to break the ice and then I spotted the perfect pretext to chat. She was carrying a beautiful dark red leather bag - the one I've known to be available in handicraft shops or the likes of Delhi and Calcutta; the ones printed with flowers or a pattern of some sort, with contrasting colours. It did look absolutely lovely.

The conversation went something like this:

Me (Saying): That's a beautiful bag you have there

Girl (Saying): Thank you, it is from Australia".

Me (Thinking): Score! We have Australia in common! This is going remarkably well! 

Me (Saying): Wow - it really is lovely!

Girl (Half-smiling, turning to look outside the window, and probably thinking):  I love my bag. I am so cool.

Me (Thinking): Uh oh! She's probably a woman of few words. She didn't say anything further so there go my chances of Australia bonding.

Me (Saying): Erm....did you buy it here or online, or in Australia?

Girl (Not smiling and saying): No. It was a gift from Australia.

She then proceeded to clutch her bag really tight and physically turn to the window to reinforce the message. I was left feeling like a right numpty! 

Girl (Probably thinking): That'll teach me to smile at strangers!

10 comments:

Ajith Alexander said...

I've had the random desi stranger grin at me and kick up a conversation about my teeshirt or book I'm carrying on the bus in Champaign. Twice. And both times, they were recruiting for the Amway/Quickstar pyramid scheme.

Were you drinking from an unbranded carton of chocolate milk when you tried?

Me said...

Uhmm...i thought I left a comment here ages ago, but now can't find it.

What I wanted to say was:
I tried that with a desi stranger at a salon and we exchanged emails and she never replied.
And now I wonder if I sort of reek of desperation....sigh.

I find that I have found more non-desi friends from chance meetings than desis. weird.

~j~ said...

By the way, that red printed stuff is called Santiniketan leather.

fortyfiveminutes said...

@Ajith: Just so you know, I was carrying a red Dior handbag. I'm going to put it down to handbag envy.

@Me: I empathise. Dot says I come across as intimidating to people I don't know and that may be why they probably think "wonder what she wants from me...I had better lose her as soon as I can."

@J: Thank you! I have never heard that term before.

shilpa said...

First time commenting here. Came here from ET's blog.
Wow that girl sure thought you were the Amway variety or a purse snatcher.

I have the same problem. 5 years here and no desi friends good enough to hang out with!

Mint Chutney said...

I'm looking for Desi friends to hang out with too. Wanna come to Chicago?

fortyfiveminutes said...

@Shilpa - Welcome! She doesn't know what she missed, that girl. At least we can try and hang out virtually, what say?

@Mint Chutney - If you're asking me, I'd love to! Though I think Shilpa is closer to Chicago than I am :(

shilpa said...

Hehe I like the virtual hang-out friends idea. To tell you the truth, I have found better friends online/among bloggers than in real life!

Shammi said...

Aw, what a shame. I promise to be friendly if you ever visit Shrewsbury! :)

fortyfiveminutes said...

@Shyam - Thank you. Beware, I might actually take you up on that one!

She Knows You're Here

Search This Blog