(the artiste formerly known as *45 Minutes To Forever*)

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Dinner at the Lonely Hearts Club

It's almost a ritual. 

When I know Dot is going to be away, I make fanciful plans for what food experiments I am going to conduct. These experiments are much easier to conduct when you're not thinking about the central reason why all food should be eaten - to satisfy hunger; as is the case every evening when we get home from work. Also, he does lab-test all my endeavours for me, but it just seems unfair to keep subjecting him to it. So when I learn of Dot's impending  travel, my chef brain goes into overdrive. Elaborate lists are made in preparation for evenings filled with mixing, baking, tasting, etc. 

I also make very grand plans for how much housework I am going to achieve when I get home from work. Indexing bills, restoring civilsation to the wardrobe, bleach-scrubbing bathroom grout, ....you know, things that you would like to do (or wish they got done by themselves somehow) to validate your domestic goddess status. I like to have it all, thank you very much.

And yet, it happens every single time. 

I spend every evening he is away, horizontal on the couch, watching reality TV dross, eating....wait for it........instant noodles. I fall asleep dressed in the same clothes I went to work in, wake up at 1am or thereabouts with a crick in my neck, drag myself upstairs, change (sometimes) and get into bed to continue the sleeping. 

Rinse, repeat. 

I really must miss him.

8 comments:

kabes said...

....and that reminds me...I do need to bleach scrub up some bathroom grout! I even have this new pen like thing I've been meaning to try....

fortyfiveminutes said...

@kabes: Does what it say on the pen! Magic! I love it.

30in2005 said...

haha! yes I too am full of lofty plans for when V is away but I never get round to them. Watching TV and eating junk is the key to boredom and loneliness.

Achala said...

good to see you back in the blog world!

fortyfiveminutes said...

@30in2005:Key to getting out of boredom and loneliness for me. I'm such an escapist. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in the lofty plans department.

@Achala: Thank you. I didn't know you dropped by here. Welcome and it's lovely to see you here too.

Ajith Alexander said...

Gosh...this explains so much of why my apartment's a mess and I'm usually lying on my couch eating crap.

Uttara said...

I have to restore civilisation to the wardrobe once a week at least. Grumble

fortyfiveminutes said...

@Ajith: You're always looking for excuses, you lazy sod.

@Uttara: Will you come over to our house too?

She Knows You're Here

Search This Blog