(the artiste formerly known as *45 Minutes To Forever*)

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Englishspeak

It's not like I've lived in Britain forever, but there are words I've learned here that are now a part of my vocabulary - words I used to find very amusing the first few times I heard them.

pants & knickers – underpants

pernickety - picky, fastidious

rude - sexually suggestive

banged up - in prison

banger - sausage

tosser - stupid, badly-behaved person

make a pig’s ear of something - mess something up

snog - kiss

shag - have sex

bird - girl

suss it out - assess and understand a situation or thing

moreish - make you want (to eat) more

lose your rag - get angry

a different kettle of fish - completely different matter

afters - dessert

bollocks - rubbish

bobby - policeman

chuffed - happy

go pear-shaped - get ruined

lido - public (seaside) swimming pool

mac - raincoat

naff - bad (looking)

nosh - food, eats

posh - fancy

quid - British pound

take the mickey - poke fun at

take the piss - same as take the mickey

bells and whistles - trappings

yonks - ages

How could you not love the language?!

7 comments:

~j~ said...

I watch BBC Entertainment sometimes -- and I am particularly tickled by the language. Some are old comedies but they are any day better than the regular crap that's dished out on most channels. Oh by the way, they're showing good old 'Mind Your Language' on Zee Cafe. Oh blimey, its so much fun :)

Mitali said...

I want to totally shag this post, but it may be considered rude.

MS CUTE PANTS said...

Oh Some of these we've heard as kids, as I'm sure you remember. Some I've learnt after my time here in Bda (due to the heavy Brit influence). However, some are entirely new to me BUT not completely incomprehensible.

Did you find yourself using the same lingo when you were back in India on holiday recently?

Anonymous said...

Interesting!

BTW how could you have learned 'posh' in britain!? .....i've been using it since childhood in India.....:P

Wannabe Stylist said...

May I add:
pissed: really drunk

Have you noticed the way they add an 'er' with every name that ends with an 'a' as in Emma sounds like Emmer. Maybe its just something I noticed.

Hokiee, I'll get me coat.

fortyfiveminutes said...

Sari - Yes, I have! It's called the intrusive "r" because it does just that, intrudes.

fortyfiveminutes said...

Savionix - You're a mega stud :)

She Knows You're Here

Search This Blog